Thursday, May 24, 2012

Among the Doldrums

Post: 4
Books Sold: 0 (currently unpublished)
eBooks Sold: 1
Pages in Jumble: 107

Even before the bowline is set adrift to release the ship, the captain has long since charted his course. So maybe the nautical metaphor is not the best choice. But I have chosen to take the Author-Ship to sea and find my course on the way. Foolhardy, m'lads? To be sure. But the adventure is there. I seek opportunity before skill with the hope that both will arrive.

I have learned on this adventure so far that it is actually possible to be close to shore, still seeking the tools to chart a course, and enter into the dreaded doldrums. Time to break out the boats and row the Author-Ship onward with raw motivation and strenuous pulls at the oars. But this is not a time to be called floundering; it is a time to rejoice for the strength and desire to put the oar to water for one more pull. The Author-Ship may not have a wake, nor even the long boat a wake, but the oars do, so pull we must.

The doldrums are that I have yet to determine the logs to read, the work of the day calls too much of my attention. Pull! But the oar's wake has produced the fact that I have progressed to within one step of getting something self-published. Pull! And another oar's wake has opened the lines of communication with potential publishers. Pull! And another oar's wake has brought me into a networking contact to a local insider in the publishing business. Pull! The official copyright has been delivered.

Do my eyes deceive me, or has the uncharted course brought us a little farther from shore?

Pull!

No comments:

Post a Comment